Premises Liability Defense Investigations
Defend Yourself Against a Slip-and-Fall
Commonly referred to as “slip and fall” cases, premises liability refers to the liability that is extended to property/business owners and the requirement that exists to maintain safe conditions for the people on the property. Fraudulent claims abound, in which a person fabricates a potentially dangerous situation (i.e. wet floor) with the intent to obtain money from a sham injury.
Fraudulent claims account for approximately $2 billion in litigation and claims.
According to the National Floor Safety Institute, roughly 3% of all slip-and-fall claims are fraudulent and these fraudulent claims account for approximately $2 billion in litigation and claims! Adding insult to injury, the National Insurance Crime Bureau has indicated that questionable slip-and-fall claims are up 12%. These numbers are even more staggering when you consider that the United States Department of Justice has stated the median award in premises liability cases is $90,000. In short, a fraudulent slip-and-fall case can cost you – or your business – tens of thousands of dollars.
The professional investigators at Brown, Kaszak, & Associates have the experience and expertise that can aid in building a solid defense to the suspicious premises liability claim. Some of our methods include:
- Documenting the scene of the accident.
- Identifying the existence, or absence, of conditions that could contribute to an accident.
- Interviewing and obtaining statements from staff and witnesses.
- Review of any video surveillance that captured the event itself and the actions of the claimant before/after the incident.
- Conducting a comprehensive investigation on the claimant in efforts to identify any behaviors which are indicative of fraudulent activities, both prior to and after the incident in question.